My Family Tree

Benjamin Campsall Gamble 

*15 Jan 1843 - †6 Feb 1900


a) Buried in Warren Union Cemetery >Return-Path: Received: from ( []) by (8.8.8/(97/11/17 5.13)) id QAA11366; Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:50:47 -0500 (EST) [1-800-745-2747 The Concentric Network] From: Errors-To: Received: from MHS by with MHS id BACPBPCL ; Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:47:56 -0500 Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:47:30 -0500 Message-ID: Subject: Re: John Gamble To: Hi Bill, I am not sure that you got the following message which is the first one I wrote. I still had a copy in my mailbox, so will send it here. Ann On Feb 1, you sent me an e-mail concerning Benj C Gamble and Isabella Everett. I have finally had some time to do some research on them. Benjamin was born 15 Jan 1843 York, England, the son of John and Esther Gamble, and died 06 Feb 1900 and is buried in Warren Union Cemetery. There is not a death recorded for him in Macomb Co, so either he did not die here or else it was not recorded. Apparently he had a wife prior to Isabella, perhaps named Evelyn, as there is a stone for John, son of B C Gamble who died Aug 6 1869 aged 3m 2d. Close by is a stone with just the name Evelyn. So far, I have been unable to locate him in either the 1860 or 1870 censuses, but in 1880, he was living with his mother and his stepfather Robert D. Smith. His Oath and Declaration for Naturalization with his signature was signed on Oct 24 1882. On Oct 16 1883 at Warren he was married to Isabella age 17 of Warren, born Ontario by L H Dran Minister. Witnesses were Sarah Spaulding (probably Benjamin's sister) and Mary Hancock of Detroit. On the marriage license his age was given incorrectly as 32, born England and a resident of Norris. Norris is another name for North Detroit in the area bounded by 6 and 7 mile roads, Van Dyke and Mound Roads (adj to Macomb Co). Isabella was the daughter of Benjamin and Eliza (Guness/Gunep?) Everett from Ontario, the family being found in the 1880 census of Sterling Twp. The parents of Eliza, Christopher and Eliza Guness/Gunep were living in their household. I do not believe that the Everett family resided here very long. Although, I have not confirmed it, but I believe that the John Gamble family immigrated in late 1849 or early 1850, settling first in Detroit. John Gamble purchased land in Sterling Township in Nov. 1854 (as a resident of Detroit) and died in Nov. 1855 in Sterling Township. According to his probate records he and Esther had 8 children, but they were unnamed except for his son John. Of these, I have been able to identify 5: John, a daughter who md John Baum, Benjamin C, Charles, and Sarah/Sadie who married Burr Maynard Spaulding. I did find a listing for John Gamble in Detroit in the 1850 census index, but have not yet checked to see if it is the right John Gamble. (Not the right one-af) Sarah the youngest child was born 11 Sept 1849 in York England. John Gamble had many debts and his property had to be sold to settle them, and thus there was not any distribution naming heirs. There was a claim entered by a George Gamble, who could possibly be another of his children. Let me know if you want copies of any of these records. To get them all, would run in the neighborhood of $15 (the most expensive being the probate records at .50/pg). The other pages run .10 or .20 each. I do not charge for my time. Ann Faulkner in Macomb Co. He enlisted in the Civil War - Macomb County Company H 2nd Calvary September 15, 1861 at age 19 in Warren, Mich. Served three years. Mustered out October 2, 1864. Discharged with gun wound in right leg, at Detroit January 15, 1865. Age 52 when Iza (daughter) was born. Mother was age 28. (Hand written old note from Matt Greenberg) Pages 60-61, Vol. 32 of the "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War 1861-1865": "Enlisted in Company H, 2nd Calvary, Sept 15, 1861 at Warren for three years, age 19. Mustered October 2, 1861. Discharged for disability (gun shot wound to right leg) at Detroit, Michigan, January 15, 1864." 2nd Michigan Cavalry 1861-5 2nd Michigan Cavalry, Co K 1864-5 2nd Regiment Michigan Cavalry 1861-1865 The Second Cavalry was organized by the Honorable F.W. Kellogg of Grand Rapids, then a member of congress, authority being given him by the Secretary of War, subject to the approval of the Governor of Michigan. The Regiment was rendezvoused at Grand Rapids, its recruitment being ompleted October 2, 1861, with 1163 officers and men on its muster rolls. The Regiment left its rendezvous under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Davis, on November 14, 1861, with orders to report to St.Louis, MO, where on its arrival, was stationed at Benton Barracks. There, Captain Gordon Granger, of the U.S. Army, who had just been commissioned a Colonel, assumed command. Soon after its arrival, they were assigned to General Pope's Army, taking part in the operations at and about New Madrid, Mo and Island #10, having skirmishes with the Confederates at Point Pleasant, on March 9th., also at Tipton Station the same month. They were actively engaged with the investment of Island #10, which finally led to its surrender. After the capture of the Island, they moved with the army, under Pope, to Farmington, MS, and being in the advance, it encountered the Confederates at Pine Hill, May 2nd., then at Monterey on the 3rd., followed by Farmington on the 5th. During the Siege of Corinth, they were actively engaged in scouting and picket duty in the surrounding country, accomplishing much hard service. While at Corinth, Captain P.H. Sheridan, of the U.S. Army, was commissioned Colonel and took command at Pittsburgh Landing, immediately setting out for Boonville, where a spirited fight led to one of the brightest small victories of the war. From there the Regiment moved into Kentucky via Louisville, in the advance in the movement from that point on Perryville. Arriving in the vicinity of Perryville, the Regiment engaged the confederates, meeting a stubborn resistance, but dislodging the confederates from every cover with their long range repeating rifles. After the battle, the regiment followed the fleeing southerners to Harrodsburg, engaging them there on the 10th., followed by Lancaster on the 12th., then finally at Rocastle River. Pursuit having been ordered discontinued by General Buell, the confederates moved through the Cumberland Gap and then into Eastern Tennessee. During November, the 2nd. remained in Kentucky, then in December and January, participated in the raid under General Carter into East Tennessee, severing rail lines, communications and supplies. During the 22 days of this hard fought raid, the Regiment was involved in actions at Blountsville, Zolikoffer and Watanga. Soon after the Carter Raid, they proceeded to Louisville, from whence on February 3, 1863, they moved to Nashville. During the months of February and March, they were stationed at Murfreesboro and Franklin, making many important reconnaissances on the surrounding roads, having many skirmishes at Milton, Cainsville and Spring Hill. On the 4th. and 5th. of March, they had a severe skirmish with forces under the commands of General Vandorn and Forrest on the Columbia Pike, loosing 1 killed, 4 wounded, with 1 captured. From the 8th. to the 12th., they participated in an important reconnaissance, during which the confederates were driven across the Duck River. March 25th., they had a sharp encounter with rebels under the command of Stearns and Forrest, killing and wounding a large number, while capturing 52 prisoners and a large number of wagons filled with arms, ammunition and supplies, with a loss to the Regiment of 1 killed, 6 wounded and 2 missing. On the 4th. of June, while returning to Franklin from Triune, they had a brisk skirmish, with a loss of 2 killed and 3 wounded. Remaining at Triune until the army advanced from Murfreesboro, they were engaged at Rover, then Middletown, and on the 27th., charged the rebels into Shelbyville. On the 2nd. of July, it aided in driving the confederates from Elk River Ford, then on the 3rd., from Cowan. In the early part of September, they were actively engaged in scouting among the mountains near Chattanooga and northern Georgia. On the 18th., 19th. and 20th., they were in the great Battle of Chickamauga, charging the rear of Bragg's army at Fayetteville, capturing 18 men and important information, then ascending the mountains, reported to Rosecrans, then moved to the rear of the battlefield at Crawfish Springs, where they assisted in holding a critical point. Leaving Rankin's Ferry, on the Tennessee River on October 3rd., the Regiment participated in the chase of the confederates of General Wheeler, who were then making raids on the communication lines of the army. They crossed the Cumberland Mountains, marching on the 3rd., 4th. and 5th., 103 miles, followed on the 6th., 7th. and 8th., 82 miles, all over rough and mountainous terrain, meeting the rebels at Anderson's Cross Roads. The Regiment then encamped at Winchester, at this time they were serving in the 1st. Brigade, 1st. Cavalry Division of the Army of the Cumberland. In November, the Regiment proceeded on a foraging expedition to Fayetteville, securing 400 bushels of wheat, 65 beef cattle, between 500 and 600 sheep and many horses and mules. Leaving Winchester on the 16th., the Regiment moved, via Shelbyville, Murfreesboro and Milton, to Liberty, thence to Sparta, over the Cumberlands, through Crossville, Kingston and Knoxville, to Strawberry Plains, fording the Holston River. On the 23rd., the Regiment marched, via New Market, to Dandridge, where at daylight on the 24th., they participated in an attack on a superior force. The fight lasting through the day, the Union forces falling back to New Market, the 2nd., losing 2 men killed, 8 wounded, with 10 captured. On the 25th., they camped at Mossey Creek, remaining here until January 14, 1864. On the 17th., they skirmished with the forces of General Longstreet, then moving on Knoxville. Falling back to Knoxville, they participated in attack on the rebels at Pigeon River, from whom they captured 3 pieces of artillery along with 75 prisoners. On the 29th. of March, 1864, 366 men re-enlisted, being sent home on Veteran Furlough the 14th., for 30 days leave. On the 3rd. of May, the remainder of the Regiment broke camp and moved with Sherman's army on the Georgia Campaign. Marching through Tunnel Hill on the 11th., to Dug Gap, skirmishing there on the 13th., then constructed breastworks at Tipton, but crossed the Coosa River on the next day continuing the advance to Atlanta, reaching Cassville Station on the 20th, forded the Etowah River on the 23rd, reaching Lost Mountain on the 17th. During this advance the 2nd. lost 3 killed, 13 wounded. The Regiment was then sent by rail to Franklin, arriving there on the 10th. of July, where they were joined by the re-enlisted Veterans returning from leave. Remaining there until the 30th., when they moved out the Murfreesboro Road in pursuit of General Wheeler's Cavalry, engaging them 12 miles outside of Nashville, driving them several miles, then again at Campbellville on the 5th., before returning to Franklin on the 12th. On the 27th., they again marched out, to Florence, Al, engaging the forces of General Forrest at Cypress River on the 7th. The Regiment then moved to Four Mile Creek, Al, where they encamped until the 29th., when the confederates, led by General Hood, crossed the Tennessee River. For the remainder of the month the Regiment was engaged checking the rebel advance. On the 30th., they encountered the confederates at Raccoon Ford, but was obliged to retire. On the 31st., they marched to Sugar Creek, which for the year, brought the total, exclusive of patrols, to a total of 1364 miles on the march. On November 1st., they moved towards Shoal Creek, AL, where they were attacked on the 5th., when after a gallant defence, were forced back to Four Mile Creek, sustaining heavy losses. From the 9th. to the 14th., they were in camp doing scouting and picket duty. On the 15th., they broke camp and made a reconnaissance to the right of its position, encamping at Taylor's Springs, remaining there until the 20th., when they marched to Lexington, TN, leaving there on the 21st to Lawrenceburg, where they were attacked on the afternoon of that day, then fell back towards Campbellville and Columbia, skirmishing at both of these points. The 25th., they crossed the Duck River, engaging the rebels, then, and on the next two days, then on the 28th., was in line of battle near the Lewisburg Pike. On the 29th., they retired to Spring Hill, there engaged in skirmishing and again at Bethesda Church. On the 30th. they were engaged at Franklin, fighting all day, sustaining a loss of 1 killed, 17 wounded and 3 missing. The Regiment marched from near Franklin, December 1st., to within a few miles of Nashville, going into the line of battle that night. On the 2nd., they passed through the city, crossing the Cumberland River, going into camp at Edgefield, remaining there until the 12th., when they retraced their route back through Nashville, camping on the Charlotte Pike. Remaining in the general area until March 11th, when they crossed the Tennessee River into Alabama, raiding into different towns destroying supplies, all the while skirmishing with confederates whenever they were encountered. When the war ended they were broken up into detatchments and used to garrison Perry, Thomaston, Barnesville, Forsyth and Milledgeville, while two full companies remained to help garrison Macon. On the 17th. of August, they were mustered out of Federal service, returned to Michigan by rail, arriving at Jackson on the 26th., where they were paid off and disbanded. During their term of Federal service, they were engaged at: Point Pleasant, MO/ Tiptonville, MO / New Madrid, MO/ Island No.10, MO / Pine Hill, MS/ Monterey, MS/ Farmington, MS / Corinth, MS/ Boonville, MS/ Blackland, MS / Baldwin, MS/ Reinzie, MS/ Perryville, KY/ Harrodsburg, KY/ Lancaster, KY/ Rocatle River, KY/ Estillville, VA/ Blountsville, TN/ Zollikoffer, TN / Watanga, TN/ Jonesville, VA/ Bacon Creek, KY/ Glasgow, KY/ Milton, TN/ Cainsville, TN/ Spring Hill, TN / Columbia, TN/ Hillsboro, TN/ Brontwood, TN/ McGarvick's, TN/ Triune, TN/ Rover, TN/ Middletown, TN/ Shelbyville, TN / Elk River Ford, TN/ Dechard, TN/ Chicamauga, GA/ Anderson X Roads, TN/ Sparta, TN/ Dandridge, TN/ Mossy Creek, TN/ Pigeon River, TN/ Dug Gap, GA/ Red Clay, GA/ Etowa River, GA/ Ackworth, TN/ Nashville, TN/ Campbellville, TN/ Franklin, TN/ Cypress River, TN/ Raccoon Ford, TN/ Shoal Creek, TN/ Lawrenceburg, TN/ Bethesda Ch, TN/ Richland Creek, TN/ Pulaski, TN/ Sugar Creek, TN Priceton Yard, TN/ Tuscaloosa, AL/ Trion, AL/ Bridgeville, AL/ Talladaga, AL Total Enrollment--2425..... Killed in Action--47..... Died of Wounds--23..... Died of Disease--268 Total Casualty Rate--13.9%

b) Isabel Everett is mother of: Evelyn Gamble (*?), Baby Gamble (*1885) and Iza LaNora Gamble (*1893)

c) Evelyn (Gamble) is mother of: John Gamble (*1869)